Monday, February 21, 2011

The Cheese Stands Alone.





What's wrong with being single?

No really, what's wrong with it? What is this epidemic of women always complaining about being alone, being constantly on the prowl for a mate, or clinging in desperation to a man who isn't worthy of such attention or affection? Is being by yourself THAT much of a tragedy?

Maybe if you're a woman in your mid-thirties or forties, I could see your justification for wanting to find a husband/mate ASAP. Your biological clock is ticking, and if you want kids then I can understand your urgency. But I'm confused about these women in their late teens and twenties hunting for a husband, or feeling incomplete without a boyfriend. WHY???

Personally, I think being single is great. I have a freedom that can't be experienced while involved in a committed relationship. I don't have to explain or justify my reasons for doing things, I don't have to deal with having to tell someone where I'm going or who I'm going with, I can go on dates with whomever I wish, I can flirt shamelessly, and I can LIVE without having to fit someone else into my plans. If I don't feel like texting or calling anyone, guess what? I DON'T HAVE TO. My life is completely dedicated to school, finding myself, reaching my goals, and growing as a person, as it should be at my age. Why weigh myself down with the drama and hassle of a committed relationship? I have the rest of my life to deal with that, why start at 20? These are the best years of my life, I can NEVER get these years back. Once they're gone, that's it. And I don't want to look back on my life and realize I spent this time focused on a man who may or may not still be a part of my life.

The best part of being single is having convenient companionship. Meaning that if I want someone to accompany me somewhere, they're only a phone call away. But if I want to be alone, there's no one out there who feels that I'm obligated to spend my free time with them. It's a win-win situation (for me, at least).

I have friends who say I'm afraid of commitment or that I can't stay focused on one guy...and yeah, they're right, but is there anything wrong with that? I can think of a million things more important to me than a man or a relationship with a man. It's just not something that's at the top of my "Priority List". I have so many other things I'd rather be doing. As far as being afraid of commitment, that is 100% correct. I'm afraid of committing to someone too early and regretting it for life. I want to have fun. By "fun" I don't mean sex. I'm not a promiscuous person and I've only been with 2 men in my entire life, so I don't want you to think that this post is about me being as much of a whore as possible before finding some idiot to marry me. lol. I just mean I want to be able to live and enjoy myself ALONE before attempting to live and enjoy myself with a companion. Get it? So all you girls out there chasing these men, changing yourself to suit someone's taste, waiting for your Prince Charming to come on his white horse, or living for your man, let me know if it was worth it in 15 years. And I'll be glad to tell you how much of a blast my 20's were. :-)


-Mischa Nicole


"Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free till they find someone just as wild to run with them." - 'Carrie', Sex in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment